Is it safe to travel in Nepal?

YES, absolutely!! Nepal is probably safer now than it has ever been after the signing of the Comprehensive National Peace Treaty between Maoists and the government on the 21st of Nov, 2006, and the agreement by both sides on UN-monitored ceasefire, which marked the end of 10 years of bloodshed that claimed over 13,000 lives and crippled the economy. Now tourists can go anywhere in Nepal without any hindrance.

How do I sign up with Wild Heights?

Choose from one of our featured trips, or contact us with your needs, ideas or questions and together we will discuss and design a custom adventure, personalised to fit your budget, fitness level, dates and style of travel. We will then give you a quotation. Next, complete our booking form and return with a non-refundable deposit of US$100 per person- the remaining balance of which is to be paid in Kathmandu. Next, you will receive an invoice and a detailed Trip Notes. We will take note of your arrival details. Then all you have to do is turn up in Kathmandu and we will take it from there.

Who can participate?

Our adventures are first and foremost holidays and can be undertaken by anyone in reasonable state of health and fitness. Most people of average fitness for their age could complete most of our treks. You can take your time, set your own pace and enjoy the experience. These adventures are not endurance test for the fit, but walking holidays for people of all ages.

How fit do I need to be or is previous hiking experience required to go on a trek?

All our trips are graded, allowing you to choose a suitable trip. The difficulties of our treks depend on where you want to trek and how long you would like to go for. Your trek can last from a few days to an entire month or longer. As long as you are in good physical shape, you do not require any hiking experience for short treks. If you are planning a trek longer than a week that involves going to high altitude, you should work out or do long day hikes at home. The time you put into physical training before you come will definitely be rewarded.

What is the best time for trekking?

The best time for trekking is October to early December and February to April, but flights are often full during this time and trails may be crowded. However, you can take a trip at any time of the year as there are benefits to every season. More

What are your payment terms?

We prefer full payment in advance before you arrive in Nepal, but if you prefer to make final payment after you arrive in Nepal, we will accept a non-refundable US$100 per person advance deposit to confirm your reservation.

How can I pay Wild Heights?

If you are paying in person in Kathmandu, we ask that you pay in cash or Travellers Cheques as the bank charges for credit cards are quite high.

Does Wild Heights accept credit cards?

We accept American Express, Visa and Master Cards for extra services that you arrange in Nepal.

How can I make advance payment?

Please contact us for instructions on making the wire transfer.
Please do not mail cheques to Nepal as they can get lost or stolen in the mail.

Does Wild Heights have a brochure?

We do not have a brochure. We solely rely on our website to reach out to people and word of mouth recommendations for bookings. We also present regular slide shows in Kathmandu to help you get an understanding of what is involved and what to expect from your trip.

Are the trekking crew insured?

Our company insures all our trekking staff.

Do I need a visa?

A tourist visa is required to visit Nepal. A Single Entry 60-day visa costs US$ 30.00 and an application form will be sent upon request by the Nepalese Embassy or Consulate based in your country. While they are also available at the airport immigration upon arrival, we advise that you obtain your Nepalese visa before leaving your home country as it usually means long delays. Please see Visa Information for more on this

How do I confirm my return flight?

Wild Heights will reconfirm your flights for you while you are on the trek.

What happens to my belongings which I don’t want to take on the trek?

Anything you don’t want to take on trek can be safely left at the hotel.

Will my valuables be safe?

We will do everything to provide adequate safety for the group and security for your possessions. The general rule is that if you don’t need it, don’t bring it. This includes jewellery, necklaces, rings and even watches. Your passport and money can be left in a safe in the hotel in Kathmandu or at Wild Heights Office and collected on your departure.

What should I do if I think I will need to make a claim for loss or damage to my possessions?

If you anticipate an insurance claim upon your return, be sure to document as accurately as possible any accident, injury or loss. Doctors’ notes or police reports will be required to support any claims.

What is the maximum weight allowed on domestic flights?

The normal weight limit is 15 kilograms.

Is it necessary to take precautions against Malaria?

It is not necessary to take Malaria prevention medicine unless you will be visiting a jungle lodge in the Terai.

What other immunisations are required?

We advise protection against Typhoid, Polio, Tetanus, Meningitis and Hepatitis. It is recommended that you seek medical advice at least six weeks before travel; some of the vaccinations require more than one injection and some of them should not be given together. See our Trip Notes for details. Modern, Western medical services are available in Kathmandu. Kathmandu based CIWEC Clinic Travel Medicine Centre’s interactive Website is excellent for medical advice on travel in Nepal and other neighboring countries.

What is altitude sickness?

Altitude sickness or Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) is a common and potentially fatal disease caused by the failure to acclimatise to the low levels of oxygen at high altitude. It can strike from about 3,000m upwards and in general is more likely to affect those who ascend rapidly and those who over-exert themselves. You may experience one or more of the following minor symptoms and discomfort of altitude sickness until your body adjusts to the elevation, which can take from a few hours to a couple of days, depending on an individual.
-Loss of appetite
-Mild shortness of breath with minimal exertion
-Sleep disturbance (difficulty sleeping)
-Dizziness or light-headedness
-Mild weakness slight swelling of hands and face

Will I be at risk from altitude sickness?

It is imperative that you drink at least three to four litres of water per day to limit the effects of dehydration and to combat the effects of altitude sickness. Our emphasis on the gradual acclimatisation process in all our itineraries will help to prepare you for the altitudes. As long as you follow the trek leader’s instructions and a few guidelines (see our Trip Notes for details) faithfully, and use a bit of common sense, you are unlikely to have any problems apart from the normal breathlessness.

Who will be leading the group?

We employ a number of qualified and experienced native leaders and guides, all of whom speak English. They will be ultimately responsible for the running of the itinerary and the safety of your group.

Is it possible/easy to purchase equipments or hire them in Kathmandu?

There are numerous trekking shops in Kathmandu, Thamel in particular, where you can easily rent or purchase items like sleeping bag, down jacket, rucksack, rain jacket, water bottle, duffel bag, etc. Please note that Wild Heights issues you with free use of Trek Pack for the duration of the trip to keep your equipment costs low and this includes among others, good quality down jacket and sleeping bag.

Do we need to take our own sleeping bags and mats?

Good quality sleeping bags are provided on all treks. You may also use quilt / blanket provided by the teahouses. Sleeping mats are provided on all camping treks.

What should I bring with me?

A full kit list will be provided upon booking. Please make sure you bring all the essential items. Bring as little as possible but bring everything you need. You have to make your own decision. Travelling light is much less of a hassle so do not bring things you can do without. Bring clothes that wash and dry easily. See our Trip Notes for a comprehensive list of things to bring.

How much money should I bring?

You will not need large amounts of money as all our trips are mostly all-inclusive barring main meals in base cities. As our time is spent mostly in the mountains, you will need money for tipping, additional food and drink, gifts and souvenirs, departure tax, and for any other additional activities that you wish to do. See our Trip Notes for detail.

Is tipping essential?

Tipping is personal and at your sole discretion. You should only tip if you feel that you have received good service. Any tipping at the end of the trek will be collected by the trek leader and pooled together to be distributed evenly among the support team. See our Trip Notes for details

What’s the luggage allowance on trek?

As no formal clothes are needed, luggage should be kept to the absolute minimum – details on what to pack are provided in the kit list (see the Trip Note prepared for specific trips). On trek, your duffel bag/ kit bag (suitcases are not appropriate) must not exceed 15kgs in weight. Each day when you begin to trek, your personal gear will be transported to the next stop by porters or pack animals. Duffel bag will be issued to you in Kathmandu before the start of the trek free of cost.

What do I carry on the trek?

Your gear in the duffel bag is not available to you during the day. You carry only the daypack that contains all that you need during the day. Each evening your trek leader will inform you of any special requirements for the following day. Generally you will need any warm clothing recommended, water bottle, camera gear and personal items such as sun screen, lip salve, etc. Unless you are carrying excessive amounts of camera equipment, your load will only be a few kilograms and is almost unnoticeable if you have a comfortable daypack.

Is communication to home possible while on trek?

There are telephones in a few villages along the popular trekking routes from which you can make international calls.

What do you do to protect the environment?

We are keeping to a small group so that we limit the impact we have on the surrounding environment. We will ensure that all biodegradable rubbish is buried and that all other rubbish is carried out of the area and disposed of responsibly. We follow and respect the local guidelines on cultural and environmental protection.

What arrangements for drinking water are made while on trek?

All water is boiled and supplied at camp or teahouse each morning and evening. You should bring a one-litre water bottle with you or you may want to increase your water bottle capacity or number if you drink a lot. However, you may purify water yourself using iodine or chlorine solution in order to save scarce fuel.

What are the washing/toilet facilities like?

Bowls of warm water will be provided for washing every morning. There will be common toilets in the lodges. On a camping trek, a hole will be made on the ground and a small toilet tent erected over it. In some parts of the Everest region community toilets have been constructed. Please note that due to the wilderness environment, the facilities will be spartan. Toilet paper is provided.

How often are the domestic flights cancelled?

Flight delays and cancellations occasionally occur because of shortage of aircraft and flights or snow or other inclement weather, forcing the shutdown of the airstrip. This is especially true for remote mountain airstrips such as Lukla, Jomson, Jumla, Taplejung, Juphal, Phaplu, etc. If we are flying from one of these airstrips, we should keep at least two spare days before your departure for home.

What happens if I can’t keep up?

There is always a large discrepancy in people’s walking ability, which is catered for. There will always be a staff member at the back of the group to ensure you are not left behind and can take things at your own pace.

What happens if I fall ill or there is an emergency?

Although ninety-nine percent of the time there won’t be any need for an emergency rescue evacuation, emergency situations do arise in the Himalayas with illness, altitude sickness, snow storms, landslide, and avalanches being the primary cause for rescue to take place. In a non-life threatening situation, we will arrange for the porters or sherpas to carry you to the nearest health post or hospital or to a safer altitude. Where the situation is more serious, one of our sherpas will hurry to the nearest communication center where he can request a Helicopter Rescue from our Kathmandu office.For more information see Risk Management.

Do I have to take out a Travel Insurance Policy?

Yes. Our holidays are specialist adventure undertakings (high-altitude mountain trekking) and as such we strongly recommend that you take out a comprehensive Personal Travel Insurance Policy which will cover all the aspects of your adventure that includes trip cancellation/interruption, loss of baggage, airline delays, sickness, accident, theft and in serious cases helicopter evacuation.

What is Wild Heights address and contact details?

Wild Heights (P) Ltd
PO Box: 19101
Block No. 10, Langtang Marg, Kuleshwor-14
Kathmandu, Nepal

Tel: 977- 1- 4301330


Note that Wild Heights is the trade name adopted by Wild Heights (P) Ltd, duly registered with the Nepal Government